Photos Courtesy of Jordan Renteria
We kicked off another great ART@TheMix event at The Mix in downtown Tacoma with an amazing turn out for the month of March. It’s nice to see word of mouth has played a crucial role and the influence is visible.
ART@TheMix2 featured male model body painting, quite the eye candy for us all. Between four beautiful male models and four wonderfully crazy artists, a model and an artist would pair up. The artist painted whatever they wanted on the bodies, much like a blank canvas. I had the opportunity to paint my good friend Blake, a total good sport about it. I channeled one of my earlier paintings (“Seven Times Down, Eight Times Up” owned by Arrie) and used Daruma once again as my subject matter. For the first time in my experience I utilized 23 karat gold leaf on Blake’s back and a whole lotta glitter on the front. He had a kick ass demon Noh mask tattoo on his chest that became part of the body painting art. Out of the four pairs, judges chose two winners. Prizes included free drinks, a bottle of wine, and/or a pitcher of beer. Alegra, Arrie, Noelle, and myself were the artists, Blake, Kristoffer, Leo, and Cory was the model. All of the body art was gorgeous and we all had a great time.
During the body painting our usual figure drawing session sponsored by Tim Mansen from the Tacoma Academy of Fine Art was in full force. Once again, Tanita was our beautiful figure drawing model. This figure drawing session is a great opportunity for artists of all skill levels due to Tim Mansen’s level of knowledge and peer critiques. The great thing about this is it’s totally free!
This time around it seems that our community canvas has been finally christened with someone’s hands (Brock the owner hehe) and the drawing pad didn’t have as much activity as the first ART@TheMix event. Maybe next time I’ll remember to bring a bigger pad of paper ^__^.
To make each ART@TheMix experience unique, each event will feature something unique and will be visually reflected in each month’s poster of the Vitruvian Man.
Come join us every last Wednesday of each month for ART@TheMix!!!
- ART@TheMix2!!! (reply2julian.wordpress.com)
- People at Work: Body Artist (rutheh.com)
- 50+ Eye-catching Body Paintings Art (oddstuffmagazine.com)
- Exhibiting at Chinawhite and my live body art installation tribute to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee! (boyardelovesart.wordpress.com)
- See How This Artist Uses Body Paint to Blend In (bellasugar.com)
- Body Art (theorderofthedragon.com)
- One of Ford’s New Male Models Is a Woman (nymag.com)
- More Incredible Illusionary Makeup Body Art by Japan’s Choo-San (laughingsquid.com)
- Amazing body art transforms people into living things (thisismoney.co.uk)
- “Body Art Illusions” by Craig Tracy (gpcartappreciation.wordpress.com)